It is something that is real, visible and invisible. It is able to move mountains, pull out trees, is as solid as a rock. It is as bold as light, able to calm the seas, part the rivers, has power over nature. Heals the sick, feed the hungry, gives sight to the blind, cleanses the diseased, raises the dead and gives everlasting life…Faith!!!
Faith is defined in the dictionary as: A thing, noun, a loyalty, an allegiance, a firm belief in something for which there is no proof.
However, the Lord Jesus Christ defines Faith as a “substance” and “evidence”. Turn to Hebrews 11:1
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
Faith is an actual thing that can be seen…Note that the Apostle Paul actually saw faith. Turn to Acts 14:8-10 and observe that in verse 9 Paul beheld faith.
Faith rests upon the Word of God, and of course the Word of God is in fact, Jesus Christ the only begotten Son of the Father…John 1:14 states that “the Word became flesh”.
Faith is an anomaly; a strange condition-we must have faith, but faith only comes from God.
Faith cannot be “mined” like coal or minerals, it cannot be purchased, it is freely given to us by our Lord God.
There are many types of faith in the Holy Scriptures; in fact the very word “faith” is used almost 250 times in the bible.
In this study we will look specifically at 10 types of faith and mention 5 others…
- 1. Salvation Faith-1 John 5:4 “For what so ever is born of God overcomes the world and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith”. Also note that blessings accompany faith. Turn to Luke 7:50 “He said to the woman, thy faith has saved you-go in peace”. Note she was saved, healed and was blessed with peace as only the Lord can give. See, in Luke 5:20, He also uses the word “Friend”.
2. Terminal Faith/Faith that is dead-James 2:17 “Even so faith without works is dead”. Also it is further written in Mark 4:40 and 41 “how is it that ye have no faith and they feared exceedingly”. The contrast between Salvation Faith and Terminal/Dead faith, you will note, is fear versus the victory, peace and friendship obtained by Salvation Faith.
3. Step out of the boat and walk on water Faith-Matt 14:28-29 “Lord if it is You Peter replied, ***tell me to come to You on the water. Come He said. Then Peter got down out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus”. There are some remarkable things that happened here: Peter-believed, he spoke to God, he was obedient to Him, he took the necessary action and for a while he stayed focused on the Lord Jesus Christ.
4. Shield and battle Faith-Ephesians 6:16 “Above all taking up the shield of faith where ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one”. It is a battle folks. We must be well armed and on the alert.
5. Tried, true and tested Faith-James 1:3
6. Soul searching Faith-2 Corinthians 13:5 “Test yourselves”.
7. Armed Forces/Fortress and Armada Faith-Psalm 125:1-2 “Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion which cannot be moved, but abides forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people from this time forth and forever”.
Faith is a product of God Almighty, our minds cannot produce it. It comes from the Lord God…YAH.
Look at Hebrews 12:2 “Look unto Jesus (Yahushua) the Author of our faith”.
8. Weighed and measured Faith-Romans 12:3 “For I say, though the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith”.
9. Can you see it, Faith-Luke 5:20 “When Jesus saw their faith He said your sins are forgiven” and if you look at verse 24b, you will note that a blessing accompanied their faith…”Rise, take up your mat and go home”. Praise God Almighty.
There are other types of faith as well:
- A. Life giving Faith-James 2:14
- B. Abundant/fruitful Faith-James 2-14
- C. Prayer Faith-James 5:14 and John 14:14
- D. Hearing Faith-Romans 10:17
- E. Roller Coaster Faith-Luke 8:13
10. Mustard seed Faith-Matt 17:20 (Mountain) and Luke 17:6 (Tree)…The word seed is used almost 300 times in the Holy Scriptures and, many different types of seed are mentioned. There are: Grape seeds, Olive, Coriander, Anise, Cumin, Hyssop, Wheat, etc. ***It is interesting to note that of all the seeds mentioned, Christ uses the Mustard seed to edify His example.
For more on this subject write to us and mention: Faith and types of faith.
Be blessed in the Name above all names, Jesus Christ the only Son of God…